Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Success!

Last night Melissa and I took the soap out of the molds and it was a success... we weren't sure there for a little bit about one batch. We ended up making another batch, but did not have a place to mold it in since the first batch was not done yet. So, we did what we do best and improvised! I dumped all the yarn out of a plastic bin and molded the soap in there. Here are the successful pics of us taking the soap out of the molds, and in the case of the bin cutting it up into bars.
Since I live in a one bedroom apartment, and have a kitten that likes to get into everything storing the soap was a small problem. The soap has to stay out in the air for about 6 weeks before it will actually be ready to use (yes I am well aware that I am cutting it VERY close for Christmas!). So since space and not having the cat eat the soap was a major concern we decided to store it on cardboard on top of the kitchen cabinets! At least the house smells very yummy.

We ended up making one batch of oatmeal, honey, and milk, and one batch of citrus. It was a great experience and I had a lot of fun learning a new craft. There will DEFINITELY be more soap making in the future!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum-o...soap. Congrats on it coming out ok. I wonder if it perfumes your house for the entire 6 weeks?

mrspao said...

Psst -- there is always your sister's house ;-) (mrspao ducks as Sarah might try and shoot her)

My friend Robin posted about the hot process of soap making today:
http://fortheloveoffiber.typepad.com/for_the_love_of_fiber/2008/06/soapy-saturday.html?cid=119758290#comments

I thought you might be interested!

Jody said...

Awesome! I'm so impressed that they came out!

Anonymous said...

wow! that's a lot of soap. . . cool. Looks like you guys did a great job!! ~Jen